Friday, April 30, 2010

The B-Word

To a teacher, or to any creative person or performer (and I would put “teacher” in that category), the most dreaded word, when applied to your work, is “boring”. When Jen and I taught in Indonesia many years ago, the privileged rich kids we had as students had been allowed to get into the habit of spitting out the word “boring” whenever something didn’t suit them. Well, a few whacks with a bamboo rod fixed that problem (just kidding - it wasn’t like we were in Singapore!). Ever since then, I am loathe to use that word in connection with my own life, and I try never to describe myself as being “bored”.

Well, as we have shared our experiences here in Vientiane, I think we’ve managed to convey the peaceful, slow-paced, easy-going nature of the place and its people. Therein lies its charm and attractiveness to someone seeking a life of tranquility. Once you’ve settled in, seen the sights, and established a workaday routine, however, this town probably ranks in the lower percentiles on the urban “thrill-o-meter”, the occasional festival notwithstanding. This is not a problem as long as I am accompanied by my trusty sidekick, Jennie, who, as some of you may be aware, is a one-woman action sequence of non-stop chills, spills, and thrills. Boring, this girl ain’t.

Eleven days ago, I said a tearful (OK, I didn’t really cry) good-bye to my mitad de naranja at Vientiane’s Wattay Airport. Jennifer had places to go, things to do, and people to see in the former Soviet Union (watch for the next installment on this blog: Jen Does Dnipropetrovsk!) Almost immediately, a feeling of ennui began to seep into my consciousness. According to Wikipedia, ennui can be defined as “general lack of interest…it may also refer to oppressive boredom”. Within hours, I was wandering around our apartment talking to myself. It’s a good thing I’m a scintillating conversationalist.

I don’t want to beat this buffalo too hard, but suffice it to say that the excitement level in my day to day life has taken a precipitous drop. When before I looked forward to going out to dinner every night, now it’s just too much trouble to put on some clothes and walk down the street. I have started eating scrambled eggs and tunafish rather than dine out alone. I’m spending hours in front of the A/C reading detective novels (did I ever mention how hot it is here?). I’ve watched several crappy movies (sorry Clive Owen, but you suck). It’s just kind of b*ring going through the ol’ daily routines without a fun & funny partner to share them with.

However, as the disco diva once sang, I will survive. I am compensating by exercising more and eating less, resulting in a svelter (“It’s sveltering in here! Turn on the fan!”) profile. I’m spending less money on restaurants. I’m catching up on my correspondence (slowly). So "it’s all good", as they say. This Skype thing is very cool. I get to have conversations with my girlie frequently (I can see her, but she can’t see me, haha). I’m not sad or lonely. Things are just a little, you know...the b-word.

No comments:

Post a Comment